First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
~1 Timothy 2:1-2
Christian friends, we have prayed and I believe God has heard and honored our prayers. But what that says to me is that our work is not done…it has only just begun.
Once left with no righteous choice for president, I believe the Lord began stirring the hearts of Christians. We had a significant dilemma. How is a Christian to vote when both presidential candidates have exhibited lifelong patterns of unrighteousness and “fist-shaking” in the face of God? Yet, so much was at stake in this election. We literally faced the probability of the most liberal Supreme Court ever assembled, and a sure path to the total dismantling of our religious freedoms. To be certain, we are not “out of the woods,” and I’m sure we will face other obstacles. But we rallied behind the party platform that gives us the best chance of living out our faith with less jeopardy of persecution.
One of the major news networks announced on election night that evangelical Christians turned out in astounding numbers! Praise God for that…and thank you to all who prayed through the decision-making process, then went out and voted your values. I believe that Christian votes made all the difference in this election. Not only did God hear our prayers, but we heard His reply and moved according to His urging to stand up and make our voices heard.
Our country is still in deep trouble. Donald Trump is not the answer. Washington is not the answer. A “political movement” is not the answer. Jesus Christ is the answer…and He commands us to pray for “all who are in high positions,” if we are to “lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.” Dear friends, we must be about our Father’s business, and it starts with prayer for our leaders.
As for the election, here are other things to consider:
- Could it be that God is offering one last chance for Christians to rise up in America for one last Great Awakening? We have a window of opportunity in these last days, and we must not waste it.
- Vice President-elect Mike Pence is a strong Christian who adamantly stands with Israel. Praise God for Mike Pence! May we see his Godly influence not only in the White House, but in our houses of Congress as well. Pray that revival will happen even among our elected leaders.
- Prior to the election, Donald Trump signed on to the ICEJ’s 5 Guiding Principles for Israel, including recognizing Jerusalem as the eternal, undivided capital of Israel. He has also vowed to move the American embassy back to Jerusalem. Let’s pray that he will abide by those commitments, and that he receives the support necessary to do so.
- Trump will now have the responsibility of nominating the next Supreme Court Justice, and perhaps several others during his term(s) as president. Let’s pray that he chooses wisely and conservatively. It is still unknown how conservative he will be.
- In another election night surprise, Republicans held on to a majority in the Senate, which has the responsibility to affirm Supreme Court Justices. Praise God for that…not because they are Republicans rather than Democrats, but because the Republican platform is much more conservative than the Democratic one. Pray that the men and women elected to the Senate and the House (also Republican-controlled) will govern honorably and righteously.
- Though propositions on legalization of marijuana sadly passed in many states, it was defeated in Arizona. How we praise God for the turnout of Christians who took a stand against this evil. Praise God for that in our state, but please pray for wisdom and guidance for those who govern in states (including neighboring Nevada and California) who voted to legalize the drug.
We have much to be thankful for, and we have much work to do. Many of our Christian leaders are calling us to pray, to live out our faith and to rise up to bring about a Great Awakening while there is still time. I am encouraged, not because Donald Trump is president-elect, but because the Lord God is giving us one last opportunity to heed His call. It starts with prayer for our leaders, but it doesn’t end there.
In what way is He calling you to be faithful?