We wrapped up a very enjoyable study together last week, and with those in the live group locally, we met one last time for discussion. Following the horrible events in Paris this week, it was fitting to once more nail down how current events line up with end time prophecy. We are, indeed, in a battle!
In two weeks time, we witnessed:
- October 31, 2015: A Russian airliner bombed out of the sky. ISIS claimed responsibility.
- November 12, 2015: Two suicide bombers blow up a Shiite area in Beirut Lebanon. ISIS claimed responsibility.
- November 13, 2015: Massive terror attacks in Paris. ISIS claimed responsibility.
Yet, just literally hours before the Paris attacks, our President (appearing on “Good Morning America“) was asked by George Stephanopoulos, “But ISIS is gaining strength, aren’t they?” To which he replied, “Well, I don’t think they’re gaining strength. What is true, from the start our goal has been first to contain and we have contained them.”
Following the Paris attacks, he commented: “There will be setbacks and there will be successes. The terrible events in Paris were obviously a terrible and sickening setback.”
Apparently, that was simply a “setback!”
ISIS certainly doesn’t see it that way! In fact, only days later, they released a video in which a member of ISIS said: “We say to the countries who participate in the crusader campaigns, I swear to god that a similar day that the French went through, you will go through. I swear to god, as we struck France and its stronghold, Paris, we will strike America and its stronghold, Washington. With god’s will.”
Friends, we must know and understand the enemy before we can even begin to combat the enemy. To quote Joel Rosenberg:
“To misunderstand the nature and threat of evil is to risk being blindsided by it.”
- The “time of the Gentiles” is coming to an end
- Israel is re-born (Ezekiel 36-27)
- Russia and Iran are strengthening ties and forming the basis of the northern coalition that will invade Israel (Ezekiel 38-39)
- Damascus could soon be destroyed (Isaiah 17)
- ISIS and Iran are driven by radical, apocalyptic theology (false messiah)
- Wars and rumors of wars, false messiahs, earthquakes, etc (Matthew 24)
Which leads us to ask a very important question: How close are we?
However, our God is greater than all that! The God of the Universe…the One True God…the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob shows His power:
- Genesis 1: He simply spoke the world into existence!
- Job 26:7-14: His mighty power is but a whisper to Him!
- Job 37:2-5: His roar is more powerful than anything we know!
Yet, our God of power also tells us not to fear. Isaiah 41:10 says, “Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” At least 97 times in Scripture we’re told not to fear. Why? Because our Almighty God upholds us! That’s our God!
John 14:1-4 tells us not to be troubled of heart. Our Lord Jesus has gone to prepare an eternal place for us…and He will come again to take us there!
Dear ones, don’t allow the things of this world to drag you down! Luke 21:34-36 says:
Be on guard, so that your hearts will not be weighted down with dissipation and drunkenness and the worries of life, and that day will not come on you suddenly like a trap; for it will come upon all those who dwell on the face of all the earth. But keep on the alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are about to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man.
Keep alert…praying! Straighten up and lift up your heads, because your redemption is drawing near! (Luke 21:28)
Our God is greater than all! Do not be dismayed, but be ready for His coming!