News out of the Middle East indicates an explosion at a Sudanese military base north of Khartoum may have been the result of an Israeli airstrike. Why would Israel be flying missions over Sudan?
It has long been known that Iran has used Sudan as a transfer point through which to ship missiles to Hamas. Thus, in order to achieve objectives related to destroying Hamas’s capability to fire rockets into Israel, the “pipeline” of weapons must be destroyed as well.
Meanwhile, on the warfront:
- 82 rockets were fired from Gaza into Israel on Monday. Almost 2,000 rockets have been fired indiscriminately into Israel since the beginning of Operation Protective Edge. The barrage continues.
- Over 2800 targets have been successfully hit by the IDF in Gaza.
- At least 18 terrorist tunnels into Israel have been destroyed, and another 45 have been discovered. Israeli leadership has vowed to destroy every tunnel possible.
- A female suicide bomber wearing an explosive belt was shot and killed by the IDF.
- On Monday evening, 10 Hamas fighters killed in a shootout by IDF soldiers were wearing IDF uniforms. Others emerged from tunnels in disguise as well.
- Hezbollah (operating primarily out of Lebanon, north of Israel) has voiced support for Hamas, via their leader, Hassan Nasrallah: “Hezbollah and the Lebanese resistance will stand by the Palestinian people’s uprising and resistance in our heart, willpower, hope and destiny.”
- Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas met with Hamas leader, Khaled Marshaal in Qatar on Monday to discuss ceasefire.
- Palestinian leadership has arrived in Cairo with a draft of a ceasefire proposal. Given that they have refused the last three ceasefire attempts, one can hardly place hope in a ceasefire proposed by them.
- President Obama is now voicing “serious concerns” about the growing number of Palestinian civilian deaths. Despite phone calls and leaflets telling Gaza civilians to evacuate areas in which the IDF has planned operations, Hamas leadership continues to use innocent citizens as human shields.
- Secretary of State, John Kerry, has arrived in Israel to mediate ceasefire talks.
- To date, Hamas has made ridiculous demands for ceasefire while continuing to shoot rockets into Israel, and Israel has shown great resolve in debilitating Hamas in the Gaza Strip. I suspect the prospects of a lasting ceasefire are fairly remote.
What does this tell me? It is more important than ever to pray! Pray for supernatural protection of citizens on both sides of the border. Pray for supernatural wisdom for world leaders, particularly those in the Middle East. Pray for the soldiers and their families as they put their lives on the line in order to protect citizens.
Why not take a moment right now to pray.