One of the most intriguing, yet difficult to understand phenomena about the attitude of Jewish people toward America is this: While 71% of Israelis are supportive of President Trump, only 30% of American Jews support him.
So, why the discrepancy and what is at stake for both American and Israeli Jews?
First, the discrepancy. Israeli Jews view President Trump as the most pro-Israel president in their history. After all, President Trump:
- Put the skids on the Iran nuclear deal by pulling America out
- Moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem, fulfilling a promise made by many former presidents
- Confirmed the truth that Jerusalem is the eternal capital of Israel
- Proclaimed Israeli sovereignty over the Golan Heights
- Provided the open door for Israel to exercise legal sovereignty over the West Bank
- Put forth the “Deal of the Century” that would not require Israel to give up any land in return for peace
- Brokered the UAE and Bahrain peace deals with Israel
- Has consistently defended Israel on the world stage, including before the UN.
Israelis understand the importance of all those things. They understand the importance of an Israeli-American defensive stronghold in a Middle East neighborhood out to destroy her.
But American Jews….why do they hold President Trump in such disdain in favor of a candidate who vows to re-enter the Iranian deal and undo as many of the achievements of President Trump as possible?
It is difficult to understand, but in simple terms, part of the answer lies in the fact they are almost always on the side of the underdogs in society, primarily because they were “societal underdogs” during the Holocaust. Many consider illegal aliens “underdogs” and they support the Democratic platform when it comes to immigration. They have also become very “Americanized,” distanced from the issues that impact their homeland.
Ramifications loom large for Americans in general, and for Israel and the Jewish people specifically. If Biden wins, he has pledged to:
- Re-enter the horrible Iran nuclear deal and end the sanctions and embargos that are currently holding Iran at bay. The door will be wide open for Iran to race toward a nuclear weapon and the means to deliver it…upon Israel and/or the US.
- Restore the Palestinians to center stage in their quest to oust Israel from their homeland in favor of a Palestinian state.
- Take on white supremicist (a good thing), while doing nothing about the overwhelming anti-Semitism displayed on college campuses and cities across America.
With Biden as president, consider the possibility of Andrew Cuomo as Attorney General. The deeply anti-Semitic Cuomo would position himself alongside the likes of Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley to promote a very pro-Islamic, anti-Israel agenda.
Indeed, it will become very grim for our American Jewish friends if they vote Democratic as they normally do. (Read more about it here.)
If there were no other reasons than these, Biblical wisdom leads us to vote for the party who stands WITH Israel, not against her. How so? I’ll let God’s Word speak for itself:
And I will bless those who bless you [Israel],~Genesis 12:3
And the one who curses you I will curse.
I will gather all the nations~Joel 3:2
And bring them down to the valley of Jehoshaphat.
Then I will enter into judgment with them there
On behalf of My people and My inheritance, Israel,
Whom they have scattered among the nations;
And they have divided up My land.
How will you vote?