Yesterday focused on the rising antisemitism being perpetuated by accusations of Israeli apartheid and the BDS Movement. Today, let’s focus on what is going on in Israel, despite the antisemitic attacks.
While some are encouraging boycotts of Israeli products, many of the world’s most recognizable companies are clamoring to build research and development facilities and manufacturing centers in Israel! Why? Probably lots of reasons, but here are some opinions offered by those who know a little bit about building successful companies:
- “Some Americans have come to the Middle East looking for oil. We came to the Middle East looking for brains, and we stopped at Israel.” – Warren Buffett (Berkshsire Hathaway)
- “It’s no exaggeration to say that the kind of innovation going on in Israel is critical to the future of the technology business.” – Bill Gates (Microsoft)
- “The quantity and quality of software engineers in Israel made it logical that we would open a R&D center here at some point.” – Dennis Woodside (Google)
So, while hate drives the BDS Movement, it is hard to ignore the fact that Israel has much to offer the world in terms of ingenuity, genius, and the tenacious pursuit of innovation. Their success makes boycotting next to impossible. In terms of technology alone, to truly boycott Israel, one must:
- Remove all Intel and Celeron computer processors your computers and cease using Windows XT, as these were developed and manufactured in Israel.
- Do away with Microsoft operating systems which came about (in large part) through the R&D centers in Israel.
- Remove anti-virus and firewall protection from computers because this technology was developed in Israel.
- Cease sending email! The algorithm (code) that is used today for sending emails is the work of an Israeli who worked at the Ben-Gurion University in Beer Sheva in 1980.
- Toss out cell phones, and definitely cease texting…developed in Israel!
- Forego Facebook, AOL, Waze, and many other built-in or added-on apps. These are all Israeli innovations.
On the healthcare front:
- Destroy virtually all medications because Teva Pharmaceuticals, the largest generic drugs company in the world, will have manufactured many of them!
- Avoid cancer medication and treatment…Israeli scientists have been at the forefront of oncology research for decades.
- Careful not to measure or inject insulin with devices manufactured in Israel. (Many are!)
- If you have MS, stop taking Copaxone, one of the most effective, non-interferon medications available, manufactured by Teva.
- Remove the Israeli-pioneered brain pacemaker, and stop using Levodopa. By the way, you won’t want to continue sessions that involve Israeli-developed magnetic cortex stimulation.
This is only the tip of the iceberg in the technology and medical sectors…and we haven’t even mentioned energy and agriculture, in which Israel is also a world leader!
So, if you think boycotting Israel is a good idea, think again! Sure, Israel has it’s issues just like any other nation. However, the world is a better place because of Israel, and frankly, in this day and age, we can’t get along without her! Thus, I make two recommendations:
- Check out the Israel Buyer’s Guide, and
- Enjoy a recent article a friend shared with me: Israel’s Fruitful Week in Science and Its Secret to Success.
Happy Lord’s Day!