After a week of hype and hysteria, I want to deliver breaking news: another virus with far greater deadliness than coronavirus is sweeping the globe. In fact, every person on the planet is infected.
While the world freaks out over the coronavirus, with a death rate of less than 5%, a virus that is 100% deadly is given little to no thought.
That virus is sin and the cure is Jesus Christ.
Stick with me here! The Bible says:
- There is none righteous, not even one. (Romans 3:10)
- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23)
- For the wages of sin is death. (Romans 6:23)
- Therefore, just as through one man [Adam] sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned. (Romans 5:12)
In short, we all sin. You sin, I sin, the most moral person you know sins. The penalty of sin is death. THAT is a very deadly virus, and everyone of us is doomed to its consequences.
EXCEPT…God provided a cure!
- For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
- But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
- He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:21)
The deadly virus of sin kills! Therefore, God the Father sent His sinless Son, Jesus, to bear the consequences for us. We are the ones who are sick with sin…He is the sinless One. Yet, He became sin for us by enduring death on the cross for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God! Furthermore, He rose again on the third day, defeating death and bringing about an eternal cure to the virus with a 100% death rate!
Romans promises a free gift (eternal life), so how do we redeem the gift? Great question. Here’s how:
- If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
- For whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved. (Romans 10:12)
“Confessing with your mouth” and “calling on the name of the Lord” are basically the same thing. It is talking to God (praying). If you believe in your heart that God raised His Son, Jesus, from the dead to save you from your sins, then confess (call on the name of the Lord)!
There is no magical prayer. The words you use can be your own, but confess (admit your sins and your need for salvation) and call on the name of the Lord and you will be saved. If you don’t have the words, you can pray something like this:
"Dear God, I know I have said and done wrong things and I'm sorry. I know my sin deserves death, but that you sent Jesus to die for my sins. I need salvation, and I want to live my life differently. Thank you for saving me, and now guide me in the way I should live. Amen"
If you prayed that prayer and meant it with all your heart, the Bible says you are saved. Welcome to the family of God! Your next step is to tell someone so they can help you grow in your new faith. Tell a Christian friend, or find a church that teaches from God’s Word and tell the pastor you have prayed to be saved. If you don’t have a Christian friend and don’t know of a good church, email Looking4theBlessedHope@gmail.com and we will work to connect you to a good, Bible-teaching church.
To those worried about the coronavirus, do not fear! Rather, focus on “the other virus” and put your trust in Jesus, the cure! (Find more encouragement here.)