The word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, set your face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him and say, Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal. And I will turn you about and put hooks into your jaws, and I will bring you out, and all your army…Therefore, son of man, prophesy, and say to Gog, Thus says the Lord God: On that day when my people Israel are dwelling securely, will you not know it? You will come from your place out of the uttermost parts of the north, you and many peoples with you, all of them riding on horses, a great host, a mighty army. You will come up against my people Israel, like a cloud covering the land. In the latter days I will bring you against my land, that the nations may know me, when through you, O Gog, I vindicate my holiness before their eyes.
~Ezekiel 38:1-4, 14-16
Ezekiel’s prophecy tells us of a time when Gog, the “chief prince” (head/czar) of Meshech and Tubal (Russia) will be drawn down with a hook in his jaw to invade Israel at a time when the people of Israel are dwelling securely. Gog and his forces will come out of “the uttermost parts of the north” with a great army against Israel, but God will rescue His people! Note these things:
- Russian President Vladimir Putin has ambitions of becoming the most powerful and influential man on the earth, and he fits the description of Gog to a tee.
- Ezekiel tells us that God Himself will put a hook in the jaw of Gog and draw him down for battle. It is no secret that Russia’s economy has suffered tremendously, and that what Putin desires is control of oil and gas resources to bolster the economy and, more importantly, allow him to build the biggest, best military in the world. Some of the largest natural gas fields in the region have been discovered off the coast of Israel.
- Israel is living more securely now than perhaps any time in the short history since the nation of Israel was reborn (May 14, 1948). Israel has repeatedly been attacked, but has won the battles with her immediate neighbors (Egypt, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon). Over the 70 year history, Israel’s military has not only matured, but has become the superior force in the Middle East.
- “The uttermost parts of the north,” from Israel, is Russa.
- Persia (Iran) is listed prominently in Ezekiel 38 as a vital sidekick to Russia. Over the past few years, Russia and Iran have forged a relationship never before seen. Russia has supplied Iran with nuclear technology and materials, built nuclear plants for them, trained their nuclear scientists and recently sent Iran some of the most sophisticated antimissile systems in the world to protect Iran’s nuclear facilities.
Is the handwriting on the wall? Is it possible that Vladimir Putin is the Gog of Magog? Well, here is the latest bit of news:
The British newspaper, The Guardian, has reported that a large battle group of Russian naval vessels, including an aircraft carrier with fighter jets and a nuclear-powered battle cruiser, has passed the British Isles on its way to the Mediterranean Sea. This is Russia’s largest naval deployment since the cold war, and it is thought that the battle group will take part in the final assault on Aleppo Syria, once a rebel stronghold. Russia already has at least 10 ships stationed off the coast of Syria (in the Mediterranean).
What’s the point? There are a few:
- Russia and Vladimir Putin are, once again, flexing their muscle in the Middle East, as if to say, “We’re kingpins here, and we’ll do what we please!”
- This appears to be an “in your face” move, particularly pointed at the US. Putin is very well aware of the fact that presidential elections in our country hamstring a “lame duck” president.
- Beyond that, America has abdicated all influence in the Middle East and Putin is indeed able to do whatever he wants with virtually no threat from the US.
- What’s more, within just the last few days, Russia very confidently warned the US of an “asymmetrical” and “painful” response if the United States attempts to place new or tougher sanctions on Russia.
Could we be seeing the fulfillment of Ezekiel 38-39, the northern invasion from Russia, also known as the Battle of Gog and Magog? Be mindful that most of the action is taking place in Syria right now (Israel’s immediate neighbor to the northeast). But beware…Isaiah 17:1 tells of a day when Damascus (Syria’s capital city) will be utterly destroyed. That day could literally be at any time.
Personally, I think the stage is being set for the potential fulfillment of Ezekiel 38-39, though the Syrian conflict seems to be a smokescreen…a distraction from what Russia and Iran are really doing “behind the scenes” to prepare for that great invasion. Once Damascus falls, the gateway is wide open that allows the Russians and Iranians to begin their invasion.
Russia already has troops and battlefield equipment on the ground in Syria. Now with the additional build-up of military might in the Mediterranean, we may be on the brink of seeing the outbreak of Russian aggression that leads ultimately to an invasion of Israel and her newfound oil and gas resources.
Christians, this is exciting! Not that war is breaking out, but that our Lord Jesus is soon to return! The Bible is not specific regarding the timing of the Northern Invasion in light of the rapture. However, those two events will likely happen fairly close together, as once the Northern Invasion begins, that will trigger a necessity for peace in order to prevent total destruction (probably nuclear) of the Middle East, if not the world.
At that point, someone very persuasive will come upon the scene to bring peace and a 7-year treaty will be signed. That “someone” is the antichrist…and when that treaty is signed, the 7-year tribulation commences. The Bible teaches that God has not destined us to wrath, but we will be taken in the air (raptured) to be with Him! We (Christians) will not go through the tribulation!
Take heart in these words, my friends:
Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief. For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
~1 Thessalonians 5:1-11