Friends, last night I attended a performance by Tzofim (Israeli Scouts) and they were terrific! The scouting program in Israel (similar to Boys and Girl Scouts in America) is the largest youth activity group in the nation of Israel. Of the tens of thousands of scouts (male and female) in Israel, about 1,000 each year try out to be part of the Israel Scout Caravan. Three teams of 10 (5 boys, 5 girls) tour the US as goodwill ambassadors for 2 1/2 months.
One of the three groups is currently in Phoenix and will perform for the next 9 days at various places. As ambassadors of Israel, they share their own personal stories to help paint a picture of the small country they are so proud of. They sing, dance and tell their stories in a one hour presentation that is just delightful! Take a look:
If you are in the Phoenix area and have any interest whatsoever in Israeli culture, this is a FREE, can’t-miss opportunity! If you have kids, PLEASE take them! This group will give your youngsters something to remember! Here is their schedule over the next few days:
- Wednesday, June 8 2016: Or Zion, 9096 E Bahia Drive, Scottsdale – 7:00pm
- Thursday, June 9 2016: Brith Shalom, 2077 Brohner Way, Prescott – 7:00pm
- Saturday, June 11 2016: LDS Stake Center, 777 E Elliott Dr, SW Corner Elliott/Lindsay, Gilbert – 6:00pm
- Sunday, June 12 2016: Temple Beth Shalom, 12202 N 101st Ave, Sun City – 11:00am
- Sunday, June 12 2016: Cutler Plotkin Heritage Center, 122 E Culver, Phoenix – 4:00pm (Limited seating – please RSVP at 602-241-7870)
- Tuesday, June 14 2016: Temple Chai, 4645 E Marilyn Road, Phoenix – 7:00pm
- Wednesday, June 15 2016: Temple Solel, 6805 E McDonald Drive, Paradise Valley – 7:00pm
The groups, who have been ambassadors to America since the 1960’s, are brought here by the Arizona chapter of Friends of Israel Scouts. I plan to go see them again and I hope to see you there too! Carve out an hour to take in a very enjoyable performance…and if you’re interested, you may even get to dance the Hava Nagila!