The Palestinian Authority pledged a “new peace plan” as they prepared for the Arab League Summit yesterday. But the “new peace plan” is no different than the 2002 Arab Peace Initiative.
“We [the Palestinians] want it to be implemented as it was in 2002, without amendments.”
~Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas
That statement followed a recent statement during a meeting with President Trump indicating the Palestinians are “ready and willing to cooperate with President Trump to achieve a just, sustainable peace based on the principles of the international community.” Oh really?
In general, the 2002 plan is:
- Israel’s withdraw to 1967 “borders” (there were no borders…simply an armistice line)
- Israel’s withdraw from the Golan Heights
- Recognition of a Palestinian state with east Jerusalem as its capital (without the Palestinian recognition of Israel as a sovereign state)
- UN Resolution 194 as the solution to the Palestinian “refugee” issue
In other words:
- No peace with Israel
- No recognition of Israel
- No negotiations with Israel
Is it fair to say Israel has been the deterrent to peace with the Palestinians? Take a look at this video and see for yourself!