Details of the framework agreement with Iran have been released and you can see those details here. Much has been made of the deal. While Obama-backers assure us that this deal is good for Israel, the US and the world, Israel-supporters tend to be a bit less convinced that Iran will hold to its obligations, and that the framework deal is enough to keep Iran from getting a nuclear bomb.
Here is the reality:
- Just a week ago, an Iranian commander stated that “erasing Israel off the map” is “non-negotiable.”
- In the midst of negotiations, Iranian Ayatollah Ali Khamenei called for “Death to America,” while US Secretary of State John Kerry trumpeted “substantial progress” in the deal.
- All the while, President Obama would have us believe that Tehran had a “historic” opportunity to begin a “brighter future.”
- Netanyahu and the Israeli cabinet strongly believe the deal, if ratified, “would threaten the survival of Israel.”
- Republicans, Democrats and foreign policy experts warn that Iran cannot be trusted.
- Even the very liberal Washington Post proclaimed that Obama’s Iran deal falls far short of his own goals.
To many, it is extremely difficult to understand why world leaders believe this is a good deal. A good deal would keep very well-structured sanctions on Iran until they prove, through their track record and their rhetoric, that they are serious about not pursuing nuclear weapons. A good deal would also address the missile capability being developed by Iran. After all, what is the purpose of intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of carrying nuclear warheads if the nuclear ambitions are truly for domestic energy use?
Not only is the deal unwise from a practical standpoint, but it leans toward far greater warnings from Scripture:
And I will bless those who bless you,
And the one who curses you I will curse.
I will gather all the nations
And bring them down to the valley of Jehoshaphat.
Then I will enter into judgment with them there
On behalf of My people and My inheritance, Israel,
Whom they have scattered among the nations;
And they have divided up My land.
Woe to those who fail to stand with Israel. Let’s pray that failure doesn’t happen on our watch. Pray for wisdom, and that God will draw direct the hearts and minds of world leaders.