Behold, Damascus is about to~Isaiah 17:1
be removed from being a city
And will become a fallen ruin.
Syria continues to be perhaps the largest stage upon which Bible prophecy is being played out. Lots of action played out over the weekend. Here is a map of the region and some key developments:
Thursday, February 27:
- After 33 Turkish soldiers were killed near Idlib in an airstrike believed to be carried out by Russian forces, though Turkey blames Assad’s forces. Turkey then opened their southern border with Syria, allowing Syrian refugees to flee to Europe.
- Israeli airstrikes on the Iraqi/Syrian border destroys multiple Iranian facilities and kills over 100 Iranian militiamen.
- Turkey launched missiles toward Syrian targets in Latakia and at least 2 were shot down.
Friday, February 28:
- The Russians continued to deny involvement in the attack against the Turks and blame Assad’s forces.
- An additional 15 Turkish drone operators were killed in Libya by the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by General Khalifa Haftar.
- An official for Turkish President Erdogan announces Turkey is prepared to go to war with Russia over tensions around Idlib.
Saturday, February 29:
- Turkish military drones killed a Syrian and 2 Hezbollah commanders.
- A key Turkish commander in Libya was eliminated.
- Erdogan announced Turkey is in Syria at the invitation of the Syrian people, and he does not intend to leave. Turkey then conducted strikes on Syrian military targets.
- Turkey expanded strikes on Syrian targets to the Hatay area, Latakia (where Iranian and Hezbollah forces are stationed), and air bases near Aleppo.
Sunday, March 1:
- Iran warned Turkey of severe repercussions if attacks on their forces and Syrian forces continue.
- Iranian General Ali Zada reported killed in Syria.
- Turkey announced that 76,000 Syrian refugees were allowed to leave Syria to Europe over the past 72 hours.
- Dozens of Hezbollah fighters were reported killed by Turkish and rebel forces near Idlib.
- Turkey announced a military operation to remove Russian-backed Assad’s forces in the Idlib area, according to the 2018 Sochi agreement Erdogan cut with Russia and Iran.
- Using American-made F-16’s, Turkish forces shot down 3 Russian-made Sukhoi-24’s of the Syrian air force. Russia may increase activity to “save face” in the lose of Sukhoi-24’s to F-16’s.
- Turkey launched drone strikes on Syrian air bases.
- Tehran officially warned Turkey to cease strikes on Syrian targets or face large-scale missile attacks.
- Syria closed airspace around Idlib and Russia warned that Turkish fighter jets may be targeted by Russian-manned air defense systems.
- Reports surfaced that Iran surrounded the Russian embassy in Damascus and sent personnel to take control of the Syrian Airforce Intelligence Center. There are rumors of a coup attempt as tanks roll into Damascus.
So, where does it all lead? Could Damascus fall? Time will tell.
Meanwhile, here are some thoughts to consider:
- Though Russia, Iran and Turkey will join forces at some point to attack Israel according to Ezekiel’s prophecy (chapter 38), the three are far from allies. In fact, as you can see, they are bitter enemies, fighting with one another in Syria.
- Currently, Turkey is flexing its muscle as Erdogan pursues his desire to reunite the Ottoman Empire and become Sultan of the Sunni world.
- Putin may soon need to decide between Iran and Turkey in order to carry forth his mission of regional dominance. Who will get shunned in order to draw in the other? What will the result be?
All the while, the Coronavirus continues its devastation in Iran, taking the life of a new legislator, and infecting other high ranking Iranian officials.
Could we be living in the last hours of the last days? We don’t know the day and hour of Jesus’ return, but we are to discern the time and season in which we live.
32 “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near; 33 so, you too, when you see all these things, recognize that He is near, right at the door. 34 Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away.~Matthew 24:32-35