At risk of stepping on toes, can we just slip into steel-toed boots for a few minutes?
For far too long, Christians have been content to sit back and hand over parts of society to those with evil intent. Among the things we have handed over:
- The arts – vulgarity in “art” has become the norm.
- Music – today’s pop music is filled with foul language and sexual innuendos.
- Science – Darwinian theory is taught as fact, biology has been turned inside out, and other sciences have become increasingly subjective.
- History – particularly US history has been re-written and children are now actively taught to hate our country.
- Philosophy – logical fallacies are promoted as truth, and each person may now define their own truth.
- Ethics – good is evil and evil is good.
- Sociology – transgenderism is mainstream and our kids are being sucked in as early as pre-school.
- Government and Civil Responsibility – rather than aggressively standing to fight for what is right, we seem to either lose faith or don’t care.
Far too often Christians are bitten by the “What does it matter” bug. We feel defeated and, besides, it takes a whole lot of effort to fight the battle! But we must!
Let me give you a real time example. A few days ago, the US House of Representative voted to redefine marriage. Lest you think it was simply a Democrat power play, you need to know that a whopping 47 House Republicans defied the Republican platform by voting for same-sex marriage! (Find the list here.)
Moreover, Democrat leadership in the Senate is threatening to bring a vote to the floor this week, where 60 votes would be needed to send the bill to Joe Biden’s desk to be signed into law. That requires 10 Republicans to cross the line and vote with Democrats. But, believe it or not, some Republicans (supposedly the “conservative” party in America) have already indicated a leaning in the wrong direction. “Conservatives” such as Roy Blunt (MO), Joni Ernst (IA), Thom Tillis (NC) and even Ron Johnson (WI) have voiced support for the gay marriage bill and over 35 Senators are undecided or did not respond, according to a CNN report.
O, woe are we. We lack not only a moral compass, but the chutzpah to stand up and say, “NO! We’re not doing that!”
The Bible warns that last days will be filled with lawlessness, chaos, apostasy, and many other ungodly characteristics. (Matthew 24, 2 Thessalonians 2, 2 Timothy 3, and many more passages) Yet, nowhere in Scripture are we given a free pass to do nothing! In fact, we are to fight the good fight (1 Timothy 6:11-12), dressed in the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20), believing that in Christ all things are possible (Matthew 19:26, Philippians 4:13).
We’re living in the days described as the last, and our Lord and Savior is looking for those who will stand firm and fight for righteousness! We can no longer say, “What does it matter?” What matters is the Holy Name of the Lord our God. I want to lift it high…how about you!
Civic engagement is not the only thing we need to take back as Christians, but it is one thing. If you are an American citizen, please exercise your God-given rights to:
- Stand up for what is right
- Communicate your concerns to your elected officials and hold them accountable
- Research and choose candidates who are conservative, and who are willing to stand up for righteousness
- Vote your values!
Jesus is coming soon…may we be found faithful in every area of life!