One of my favorite things is a nice quiet prayer walk, seeking to discover something new and in depth about our glorious God, and asking Him to reveal mighty things. I enjoyed such a prayer walk a few days ago, and those thoughts are now making it to paper.
Regarding America and our Christian heritage, my prayer walk that day was filled with praise to God for the influence of our forefathers and presidents who were men of God. Samuel Adams, Patrick Henry, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Harry Truman, and Ronald Reagan, to name a few. You may or may not agree with their politics, and you may even disagree whether or not they were Christians, but they were certainly guided by Christian principles (and I believe most, if not all, of these men were Christ-followers). They helped lay and build on a foundation pleasing to God.
In recent years, we have seen contrasts as different as night and day. As believers, we languished through the Obama years in the White House, wondering what his next anti-Christian move would be. Today, we suffer through a “puppet president” whose strings may well be pulled by Obama and his cronies.
Right in between was an interesting president who, by all indications, did not live a life that reflected Biblical values prior to being elected. In fact, he was a billionaire businessman with no political experience. But he certainly governed, in large part, on foundational Christian values. He stood for life, he stood for responsibility, he stood for good stewardship, and he stood for Israel. But how did such moral policies come from an otherwise tainted man?
There is no way to prove it though it seems we will never know the impact of the service rendered to President Trump and his administration by Godly, Bible-believing, Bible-following men like VP Mike Pence, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and other strong believers who surrounded the President. Prior to Trump’s election, many prayed for God to give us a Godly leader such as Josiah (2 Kings 23). He gave us that…not in the person of the President, but in those who surrounded him.
Do you think those Godly men read their Bibles and understood passages such as Ezekiel 38-39, Isaiah 17:1, and Revelation 17-18? Those are all passages of prophecy, and I believe those men, like the men of Issachar, understood the times and what leadership should do. (1 Chronicles 12:32) The impact those men had on our President may never be known this side of heaven.
But let’s face it. That is no longer the case, based on what we know of Scripture, and in the context of God’s command to us to bless Israel.
The contrast in leadership shows most vividly in foreign policy right now:
- No new wars started during the Trump administration. With Biden at the helm for less than 4 months, Iran was emboldened to turn the dogs loose in the Gaza Strip.
- Trump kept Iran suppressed with crippling sanctions. Biden is on his way toward signing a new agreement with Iran, the world’s leading sponsor of terror. He will give them billions of dollars, which will be used to perpetrate terror, particularly upon Israel and the US.
- Under Trump, North Korea stopped test-firing rockets and threatening our allies, China couldn’t push its agenda forward and Russia was contained. Today, under Biden, North Korea has already resumed testing rockets, China is chomping at the bit to become the dominate world leader, and Russia is pulling all sorts of shenanigans. Where is the America we love?
- Trump forged peace between Arab nations and Israel, while Biden is jumping in bed with the greatest enemies of Israel and the US.
- The American military became the undisputed dominate military in the world under Trump, but now Biden wants to hand over dominance to China and Russia.
- The Trump administration took hardlines with Antifa, BLM and other socialist-driven agendas. Joe Biden and his team of ultraliberals are wooing them as the new face of “normal” in America.
But, back to our focus. What our leaders believe matters! I made no secret of my support of Mike Pence and Mike Pompeo because it was apparent from early on those men knew and understood the times and had the ear of the most powerful man on the planet…the President of the United States. Joe Biden needs those kinds of principled, Bible-believing advisors, yet if they are there, they are hard to identify.
No one committed to Biblical principles approves of the direction Biden is taking us. However, friends, God’s Word commands us to PRAY for him, not complain about him. He is there by God’s appointment, whether we like it or not, and only the God who placed him there can set us free from tyranny and unrighteous leadership. Pray for Joe Biden, his administration, for leaders in the House and Senate, and for those who advise them. Each of them needs a Mike Pence and Mike Pompeo to be the Josiah that will lead our country forward in a God-honoring way. Let’s do our part by praying earnestly!
Check back this afternoon when we consider a prime example of a Godly leader.